Pittsburgh Civil Rights Attorneys
Stand Up If Your Civil Rights Were Violated
At Friday & Cox, LLC in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, we firmly believe that civil rights are the foundation of a free and just society. When these rights are violated by the police, government entities, a corporation, or any other party, it creates a serious problem with the potential to harm everyone. Standing up for your civil rights is not only about seeking justice for yourself but also setting a precedent that safeguards these rights for everyone.
If you believe you’ve been a victim of a civil rights violation, starting a civil rights claim could be the first and most important step toward justice and fair compensation. Put our experienced civil rights lawyers by your side, so we can handle the complex legal aspects and stand up to the challenges ahead, all on your behalf.
Why should you pick Friday & Cox, LLC for your Pittsburgh civil rights claim or lawsuit?
- We are a nationally recognized firm with recognitions from Super Lawyers®, Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, Martindale-Hubbell®, and more.
- We return calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can contact our firm whenever you need us the most.
- We have more than 100 years of collective legal experience with a focus on hard-fought injury claims and lawsuits.
- We can use our resources and insight to attempt to negotiate a settlement or we can take your case to trial, whatever is needed.
Get legal counsel to protect your rights. Call (412) 900-8250 or contact us online now.
What is a Civil Rights Violation?
You have numerous important civil rights that are granted through laws from the federal government and Pennsylvania State government. Every single one of those rights is worth protecting. If a person, party, or government entity has violated your rights, you should see what can be done to set things right.
Civil rights violations can take many forms, such as:
- Unjustified searches and seizures
- Police brutality or abuse while in police custody
- Racial profiling by law enforcement
- Prevention of peaceful public gatherings and protests
- Civil abuses by a public servant (local politician)
- Denial of access to public spaces and resources (including education)
- Termination from employment due to discrimination
- Sexual harassment and discrimination (not always in the workplace)
- Hate crimes
- Harassment at a polling place (voter interference)
How Do You Know If You Can File a Civil Rights Claim?
Not sure if your civil rights were violated? Not certain if the potential violation was severe enough to justify a claim or lawsuit? Our attorneys can help you figure everything out, so you know that you’re taking the right legal action if any at all.
You could have the grounds to file a civil rights violation claim if:
- Your rights were violated: Your civil rights, as defined by the U.S. Constitution, federal laws, and state laws, must have been violated. We can determine if they were before you get too far into the process of starting a claim.
- You can identify the defendant: You need to identify who violated your rights. This could be a government official, such as a police officer or a public servant, or it could be a private individual or corporation, depending on the specifics of the case.
- You were harmed: As with a personal injury claim, we will want to cite specific ways the violation harmed you, such as physical harm, emotional distress, financial loss, or other negative impacts on your life.
- You used up other remedies: In some cases, before filing a civil rights claim, you may need to exhaust all available remedies. For instance, if you’re claiming employment discrimination, you might need to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) before you can file a lawsuit.
- You still have time to file: There are specific time limits for filing a civil rights claim, known as statutes of limitations. The time limits vary depending on the type of claim and the jurisdiction, but most against public or governmental entities are very brief, so you should reach out to our law firm now.
How a Civil Rights Claim Can Help
Our Pittsburgh civil rights lawyers recognize the courage it takes to initiate a civil rights claim, particularly when confronting formidable defendants such as government agencies or employers. We are steadfast in our commitment to amplifying your voice and providing unwavering support, so you can feel confident as you take a stand for justice. We are here to guide you through this complex legal journey, tell your story, and stand up for your rights.
A civil rights claim can serve to set things right in two primary ways:
- Compensation: If your claim is successful, you may receive compensation for damages incurred due to the violation, such as economic damages like lost wages or medical expenses, non-economic damages such as pain and suffering, and in rare cases, punitive damages intended to punish the offender and deter similar conduct in the future.
- Justice: Beyond individual restitution, a civil rights claim plays a crucial role in upholding justice for society at large. It can bring about policy changes and reforms, contributing to a more equitable and just society.
Your constitutional and civil rights are always worth fighting for. At Friday & Cox, LLC in Pittsburgh, we understand that the journey toward justice is not confined to office hours, which is why our 24/7 phone line stays open for us to help when you need us. Stand up for your rights and seek the compensation you deserve with our legal representation.
Don’t go another day wondering what you can do about a civil rights violation. Learn your legal options by dialing (412) 900-8250 or submitting an online contact form.
Unparalleled Client ServiceYour inquiries are returned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call for a free case evaluation at (412) 900-8250.
Excellent Track Record.We bring more than 100 years of combined experience and results to helping injured people obtain the compensation they need to rebuild their lives.
We Are Willing To Go All The Way.Our lawyers are trial tested and our firm has won many verdicts and countless settlements.